The Buffalo Saloon

The Buffalo Saloon

Built in 1854, and originally located at 4th and Edmond streets in St. Joseph, the Buffalo Saloon boasted the title of “the oldest saloon west of the Mississippi”, until it was closed on December 24, 1959. In the summer of 1966, the Pony Express Historical Association purchased the front and back bars of the old saloon to recreate it inside of Patee House. On weekends and throughout the summer, soft drinks and popcorn may be purchased by museum goers who would like to relax a few minutes between exploring the exhibits. Don’t forget to drop a quarter into one of the slot machines to play a tune on our fully-functioning Nickelodeon!